When Swedish pioneers homesteaded in eastern Saskatchewan during the 1800s, locating a church site was one of the first community projects.
The site, south of the village of New Stockholm, which was named for the largest city in Sweden, saw the first church service in 1889.
Growth in the community led to building one of the most elaborate rural churches of the time in 1919.
The Stockholm Lutheran Church opened in 1921. Bricks for the building were hauled from Stockholm, six kilometres north.
Now a municipal heritage property, the landmark church architecture features a typical Lutheran style with a central bell tower and eight-sided spire.
The roof has been redone but the tower is still the old shingles.
Not typical for Lutheran churches of the time, this structure has a cruciform layout and small rose windows in the bell tower.
Two large stained-glass windows — Jesus Knocking at the Door and The Good Shepherd — are believed to have been made in the United States.
Stained glass windows decorate the inside and are outside features.
Church services are still held every Sunday at 10 a.m.
Ron Walter can be reached at email@example.com