As the cold, winter weather sets in, many people start travelling someplace warm. But do you know how to protect yourself when booking such a trip?
The Financial and Consumer Affairs Authority (FCAA) has several tips to bear in mind.
- When booking flights, car rentals, or hotels through a third party — such as a travel agent — be sure to confirm the booking with the actual supplier to ensure the reservation was received and is correct.
- Pay with a credit card, as it can be easier to get a refund through a credit card provider.
- Similarly, minimize the use of cash or cheque deposits when booking through a third party, to avoid problems when trying to obtain a refund.
- Read the cancellation policy carefully.
- Do research, read customer reviews, check with the Better Business Bureau and the Association of Canadian Travel Agencies to confirm that the third party is well established and has a good reputation.
Have a problem? The Consumer Protection Division may be able to help. Call toll free at 1-877-880-5550 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.