Normally, the Moose Jaw Warriors have their year-end awards night at Mosaic Place in front of the team’s fans.
Of course, that simply could not happen this year, given the COVID-19 pandemic and the abrupt end to the WHL season.
Regardless, the Warriors still wanted to honour the standout players on this year’s team. To that end, the Warriors handed out their 2019-20 Yara Belle Plaine Awards yesterday. Award winners were announced on the team’s Twitter page.
This year’s award winners are as follows:
- Top Scorer: Ryder Korczak (18 goals and 67 points in 62 games);
- Three Stars Award: Ryder Korczak;
- Most Sportsmanlike Player: Logan Doust;
- Vanier Scholastic Achievement Award; Eric Alarie;
- Most Improved Player: Cade Hayes;
- Mark MacKay Hustle Award: Owen Hardy;
- Humanitarian Award: Tate Popple;
- Rookie of the Year: Eric Alarie;
- Top Defeceman: Daemon Hunt;
- Fan’s Choice Award: Owen Hardy;
- Cody Smuk Unsung Hero Award: Tate Popple;
- Player of the Year: Owen Hardy and Ryder Korczak.
The captain was a leader on and off the ice. Owen lead the team in goals with 22 on the season. pic.twitter.com/o2h43sfP3K— Moose Jaw Warriors (@MJWARRIORS) March 25, 2020
Next up for the Warriors is the WHL Bantam Draft, which will be held April 22. The Warriors will select third.
Visit www.mjwarriors.ca for more information.