February is Saskatchewan Aboriginal Storytelling Month and the Moose Jaw Public Library has prepared programs for the occasion in collaboration with the Wakamow Aboriginal Community Association (WACA).
Another exciting piece of news for the Moose Jaw Public Library (MJPL) is their acquisition of an Ultimaker S3 3D printer. Printing jobs are open to the public by submitting an .STL file through an online digital request form.
No library card is needed. Clients will receive an email when their build is complete and pay for the materials (cash only) on pick-up.
A complete FAQ for the MJPL 3D printer is at www.moosejawlibrary.ca/3dprinting.
Aboriginal Storytelling Month
The MJPL’s Saskatchewan Aboriginal Storytelling Month programs take place on February 24 and 25 in two locations: the MJPL and the new WACA office in the Moose Jaw Cultural Centre.
There will be three programs, each led by poet Tenille Campbell and Elder Barb Frazier.
Programs are free to attend and do not require registration. The goal of Aboriginal Storytelling Month is to promote Indigenous cultural traditions and cross-cultural relationships. Storytelling is the oldest history-keeping custom there is, passing down family tales, essential survival skills, spiritual traditions, and more — creating a living archive for future generations.
On Friday, Feb. 24 at 2 p.m. in the South Meeting Room, in a session directed at youths aged 13 to 17, Campbell will share poetry and poetry-writing tips on positive self-expression, positive sexuality, and self-actualization.
On Saturday, Feb. 25 at 2 p.m. in the South Meeting Room, Campbell and Frazier will present an afternoon of poetry, supported by the Library Services to Saskatchewan Aboriginal Peoples (LSSAP) committee.
On Saturday, Feb. 25 at 7 p.m., at the Cultural Centre WACA office, Campbell will share poems of love and celebratory self-care.
Learn more about Aboriginal Storytelling Month at lssap.ca/storytelling. Learn more about poet Tenille Campbell at tenillecampbell.com.
- Tech Time
- By appointment only, call 306-692-2787 to book a personalized one-on-one session with a tech wizard who can help clients learn how to use their devices and apps
- Local Writers’ Readout
- “Chase the Winter Blues Away” readout for all ages
- Presented by the MJPL and the Saskatchewan Festival of Words
- Saturday, Feb. 4 at 2:30 p.m.
- Magic the Gathering
- All experience levels welcome, come and learn how to play one of the most popular and intricate deck-building games of all time
- Saturdays, Feb. 11 and 25 from 2 to 5 p.m.
- MJPL Movie Club
- The Royal Tenenbaums (2001) by Wes Anderson will show in the MJPL theatre on Monday, Feb. 13 at 6 p.m.
- Avid Knitters Club
- Tuesday, Feb. 14 at 2:30 p.m. in the South Meeting Room
- Night Stitchers
- Tuesday, Feb. 28 at 7 p.m. in the South Meeting Room
- MJPL Book Club
- The Guernsey Literary Potato Peel Pie Society (2008) by Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows
- A story of the small island of Guernsey, a British Crown Dependency in the English Channel, during the five years of German occupation in WWII
- Tuesday, Feb. 14 at 7 p.m.
- New Adult Digital D&D
- Every Friday, online, from 4 to 6 p.m., for ages 15 to 22
- Register by emailing email@example.com
- Teen D&D
- Thursdays in the MJPL Archives, from 6:30 to 8:30 p.m., for ages 12 to 16
- Register by email at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Teen Maker Space
- Wednesday, Feb. 1 at 6:30 p.m. in the Herb Taylor Room, for ages 12 to 19
- Learn to build, explore, and create with LEGO Mindstorms EV3. Snacks provided
- Teen Gamers – Games Night
- Wednesday, Feb. 8 at 6:30 p.m. in the Herb Taylor Room, for ages 12 to 19
- Featuring card games, board games, and video games in various formats. No registration required, snacks provided
- Teen Anime Club – Spy x Family
- Saturday, Feb. 11 at 2:30 p.m. in the MJPL theatre, for ages 13 to 19
- Teen Writers Circle
- Wednesday, Feb. 15 at 6:30 p.m. in the Herb Taylor Room, for ages 12 to 19
- Teen “I Made This” Art Program
- Wednesday, Feb. 22 at 6:30 p.m. in the Herb Taylor Room, for ages 12 to 19
- This month’s project is origami, with snacks provided
- Movie Matinee – Thor: Love and Thunder
- Saturday, Feb. 25 at 2:30 p.m. in the MJPL theatre, all ages welcome