City council will soon decide whether it should distribute nearly $14 million in grants throughout the community after more than a dozen groups asked for support with their 2022 budgets.
Fourteen community groups spoke to council on Nov. 24 during the first session of the City of Moose Jaw’s 2022 budget deliberations. The groups are asking for a total of $13,620,991 for next year to help with operating costs, which would increase from $12,932,480 this year.
Also, $254,500 in capital costs are being requested, which is a decrease from this year of $450,000.
The 14 groups asking for support in 2022 include:
- Moose Jaw Police Service: Net operating funding of $11,168,126 and capital funding of $254,500; this year those numbers were $10,669,407 and $450,000, respectively
- Moose Jaw Public Library: Net funding of $1,235,932; this year, that number was $1,206,453
- Moose Jaw Cultural Centre: Net funding of $168,872; this year, that number was $160,679
- Moose Jaw Humane Society: Net funding of $233,610 and $15,000 for a new initiative; this year, net funding was $229,029
- Saskatchewan Burrowing Owls: Net funding of $6,557; this year, that number was $6,428
- Wakamow Valley Authority: Statutory levy of $336,204; this year, that number was $329,612
- Downtown Moose Jaw Association: Net funding of $125,000; no funding was given this year
- Moose Jaw Airport Authority: Net funding of $30,000, which was the same as this year
- Moose Jaw and District Seniors Association: Net funding of $35,700; this year funding was $35,000
- Cosmo Senior Citizens Association: Net funding of $15,300; this year funding was $15,000
- Moose Jaw River Watershed Stewards: Net funding of $10,000, which is the same as this year
- Tourism Moose Jaw/Canada Day Committee: Net funding of $94,835 and $2,585, respectively; this year, those numbers were $92,975 and $2,534, respectively
- Festival of Words: Net funding of $8,024; this year, that number was $7,867
- Moose Jaw Museum and Art Gallery: Net funding of $140,246; this year, funding was $137,496
The Moose Jaw Express will produce a series of stories in the coming days that highlight the presentations that some of the groups gave.